Sunday, May 26, 2019

Teaching: A Reflective Practice

By Peter Vaisanen 

Throughout the first few weeks of my online Masters course EDUC5303G
I have found myself reflecting on my teaching practice through the readings
I am being exposed to. The reading ‘Key Findings’ from ‘How People Learn’
by Donovan M.S highlighted three main points for me and my practice.

3 Takeaways for Teaching 



Students Preconceptions

The first statement that resonated with me was:
“Students come to the classroom with preconceptions about how the world works.
If their initial understanding is not engaged they may fail to grasp the new concepts and information
that are taught, or they may learn them for the purposes of a test but revert to their preconceptions
outside of the classroom” (Donavon, 2002, p.10)

As I plan my curriculum for the year of teaching ahead,  I have not always considered how important this statement is. Students background knowledge and their preconceptions about the world is important to ensure our students are engaged. Making content relevant for our students is key to their understanding and opens the door for them to have a deeper understanding rather than just using the knowledge to pass a test. As I prepare for my 2019-20 school year, I will be sure to get a better understanding of my students preconceptions. An emphasis on diagnostic assessments should help to
give me a better understanding.


Meta-cognitive Approach

The second statement that resonated with me was

A “metacognitive” approach to instruction can help students learn to take control of their own
learning by defining learning goals and monitoring their progress when achieving them”  (Donavon, 2002, p.11)


At the school I teach at, I am a mentor for ten grade seven students.
Throughout the year we discuss many topics that help to support our boys development while also
trying to expose them to various strategies to help prepare them for High School and later. After reviewing
this reading I want to ensure I am empowering my students to take control of their learning.
The learning skill of becoming more self-aware of the way one thinks and learns could be another tool to help
support these boys during their time in middle school. Making them aware of how they learn best
would only set them up for success and further prepare them for their next step.

Formative Assessments

The third and final statement that resonated with me was:


“Formative Assessments- on-going assessments designed to make students thinking visible to both
teachers and students- are essential. They permit the teacher to grasp the students’ preconceptions,
understand where the students are in the “developmental corridor” from informal to formal thinking ,
and design instruction accordingly.” (Donavon, 2002, p.21)


Formative assessments can sometimes be underutilized and students don’t always see the value in

them as there is generally no grade attached to them. Therefore, it is important, as discussed earlier for
our students to be engaged by ensuring as teachers we consider their prior knowledge to keep them
hooked.  As a teacher, I find that formative assessments are very powerful and just recently I was
reminded of the power of peer assessment. Again, as I look forward to the 2019-20 School year,
I would like to implement more formative peer assessment in to my program as this will further
enrich my students learning.


References

Donovan, M.S, Bransford, J. D., & Pellegrino, J.W. (2002). Key FindingsPreview the document. In How people learn: Bridging research & practice (pp. 10-24). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment